RPI Logo

Education for Working Professionals

Graduate Application for Non-Degree Seeking Students

Some professionals are looking to take a course to improve a specific area of their work or test-drive Rensselaer’s Education for Working Professionals program. We recommend Business Issues for Engineers, Data-Driven Decision Making, and Engineering Project Management as you consider topics that directly apply to your job and include projects that can make a difference in your approach at work.

Completing a Non-Degree Application:

  1. Make arrangements for your official transcripts from the Registrar’s office(s) of all colleges/universities previously attended to be sent via email to or mailed to:
    • Admissions Building
      Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
      110 8th Street
      Troy, NY 12180-3590
  2. Complete the Graduate Application for Non-Matriculated Study form and email to . Indicate your course of interest in your email and we will fill in the CRN Number details for you under the Program Information section of the form.
  3. Upon application approval, you will receive an email confirming your course registration.
  4. The Director of Student Support & Success will then contact you with details you will need leading up to the start of class.

Graduate Non-Matriculated Study Requirements:

  • The minimum requirement for admission to a graduate course is the completion of and the award of a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree or the U.S. equivalent.
  • Admission to a course as a non-matriculated (non-degree seeking) student is based on the applicant’s related academic and professional qualifications as well as space availability for the specific course(s) requested.
  • Up to 12 credit hours can be applied to a graduate degree program.

Benefits of Non-Matriculated Study:

  • Take just one course in data analytics, project management, or business issues and experience the difference in your job in just four months.
  • Test-drive one Education for Working Professionals course to see how it fits your goals at work and your busy life
  • Network with other like-minded working professionals throughout the U.S. who are leading change and making a difference.
  • Completed non-matriculated coursework with a grade of B or better can be used towards an applicable graduate degree or certificate.
  • Most employer benefits cover payment of non-matriculated coursework.


Contact us
If you would like to speak with an Enrollment Representative to learn more about taking coursework as a non-degree seeking student.