Veterans Coordinator:

The degree programs at Rensselaer at Hartford are approved for the training of veterans. You must be degree-seeking to receive veterans benefits. If you are a nonmatriculated student but have demonstrated that your goal is to pursue a degree (i.e., you indicated on your Rensselaer admission application that you intend to pursue a degree), nonmatriculated status is acceptable for VA education benefits for a period of two terms. Since no more than 12 credit hours earned as a nonmatriculated student will be transferred to a degree program, it is important that you request a change to degree status immediately following completion of a minimum of two courses. Also, if you are seeking a dual degree, please contact the Financial Aid Office. A single educational goal will need to be developed so that you can maintain eligibility for education benefits while simultaneously pursuing both academic programs.

An excellent source of information on veterans education benefits is located on the web: If you have a question regarding your benefits, you can utilize this web site to send an e-mail message to the Buffalo, N.Y., Regional Processing Office. In addition, you can complete Form 22-1990 (Application for Education Benefits) online using VONAPP (click on "Electronic Application Form”). The site also offers a special "Education News" area where you can get up-to-date information on, for instance, the Veterans Administration (VA) Tuition Assistance Top Up program.

If you believe you are entitled to education benefits, you also can call the VA toll-free phone number (888-442-4551) to determine your level of eligibility. This number is an "education information hotline" that gives you immediate access 24 hours a day to an automated system with a wide range of information about VA education benefits and eligibility criteria. During business hours--8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday--you can speak directly with an Education Case Manager at the Buffalo, Regional Processing Office. According to the VA the telephone service at their Education Hot-Line has been greatly improved, so you should not have to wait very long to get through to a Case Manager.

If you have not previously applied for VA education benefits, you can either complete and submit the form online or print and complete this application. Please return the latter completed application directly to the Financial Aid Office for forwarding to the VA with your first enrollment certification. Once the application is processed the VA will mail you a certificate of eligibility which informs you of the actual amount of monthly education benefits you are entitled to receive. Please submit a copy of this certificate to the Financial Aid Office.

If you have received veterans education benefits while attending another school prior to your enrollment at Rensselaer, please complete and return VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) to the Financial Aid Office. This form will be submitted to the VA processing center along with your enrollment certification.

Please remember to note on your Rensselaer registration form each semester that you are applying for veterans benefits. Immediately following the add/drop period, enrollment certification forms are sent to the VA regional processing center. Any changes in enrollment after the add/drop period must be reported to the Financial Aid Office. If you are receiving GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30) education benefits and have recently received a VA Form 22-8979 in the mail you can certify and/or change your monthly enrollment over the Internet using "Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)" ( and click on "WAVE"). This facility also indicates whether your benefits have been processed and allows you to start or change your direct deposit. Of course, you can also certify enrollment by using their toll-free phone number with interactive voice response (877-823-2378).

Back to top

Updated: 2014-03-03, 16:10