Graduate Education for Working Professionals
Rensselaer proudly presents its graduate program designed for working professionals, delivered primarily using online and blended learning experiences. Your application can be completed and submitted online, following the criteria listed below.
- Official Transcripts and Degrees
- Personal Statement
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- GRE Scores or Rensselaer Success Indicator (RSI)
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Non-refundable Application Processing Fee of $75
Application Documents and Requirements
Official Transcripts and Degrees
Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies, including course work taken as a non-degree student, must be submitted. Student-printed or downloaded copies of transcripts are not acceptable. Note for current Rensselaer students and Rensselaer alumni: We will request your Rensselaer transcripts on your behalf.
- If you are currently attending a university, a final transcript must be submitted upon completion of your course work. If you have completed your degree, the award of degree must be noted on the transcript. Transcript keys must accompany all transcripts in order to be considered acceptable.
- If your school does not release official transcripts directly to students, you must request that the school send the official copy directly to Graduate Admissions at:
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
110 8th Street
Troy, NY 12180-3590
- If transcripts of previous or current study do not include the award of degree, include a certified copy of the diploma or other official evidence that the degree has been awarded.
All international transcripts must be recorded in, or officially translated to, English. Transcripts in the original language must accompany all translated documents. Uncertified translations, or translations by students, will not be accepted.
Do not submit secondary school (high school) exam results or transcripts
Your Personal Statement should address your academic interests, and future career goals as they relate to the graduate program to which you are applying. The statement should include relevant academic, professional, and personal experiences that influenced your decision to apply to the graduate program. If you wish to revise your statement after you submit your application, you will be able to upload a revised statement from your application status web page.
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Your resume should include details about your education, employment, and internship history, as well as any pertinent research experience.
GRE Scores or Rensselaer Success Indicator (RSI)
Note: If you have three or more years of full-time work experience, you may substitute the Rensselaer Success Indicator (RSI) for the GRE. During the application process, you will be asked for the names and email addresses of five references – individuals who can attest to your work and professional and/or academic capacity. Upon submission, an evaluation form will be electronically sent to each individual. When each of the five individuals has completed the evaluation, the evaluations will be reviewed to determine the likelihood of your success in graduate study. Please contact Natalie Sutera, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Rensselaer Code for GRE: 2757
- Official test scores are required and may be uploaded to your application. Web scores are not acceptable.
- GRE reports should reflect test scores dated within five years. Older scores are not available from the testing agency.
- The average credentials for admitted students include GRE scores of 157 (verbal), 163 (quantitative), 4.0 (analytical).
You will have the opportunity to upload your test score(s) after you submit your online application. Scores taken from the ETS website or issued on the day of the test are not acceptable. If you are admitted, you will be required to submit scores directly from the testing agency.
Two Letters of Recommendation*
Rensselaer requires two letters of recommendation. You will be required to enter two recommenders on the online application. Recommendations should be from those who can provide an assessment of your likelihood for success at the graduate level in your field of study. Rensselaer will send an electronic recommendation request to each recommender, who will then be able to submit his/her recommendation electronically.
*Recommendation Letters: Individuals who apply using the Rensselaer Success Indicator (RSI) are not required to submit letters of recommendation.
Nonrefundable $75 Application Processing Fee
Credit card payment is available for electronic submissions. If you do not wish to submit payment by credit card, a money order or check drawn on a U.S. bank, payable to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, may be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
110 8th Street
Troy, NY 12180-3590
Include the full name, date of birth, and address of the applicant on money order or check. Do not send cash or stamps.
International Students: Rensselaer’s graduate programs for working professionals are not considered residential programs, and may not satisfy student visa requirements. Rensselaer’s Troy-based graduate programs are more suitable for international students – for more information, see https://admissions.rpi.edu/graduate.
When the application is completed, a committee will review your materials and make an admissions decision. All decisions will be communicated to you officially via email. If your application is accepted, you will be asked to confirm your acceptance of the offer of admission. If additional information is required in order to complete the application review, you will be informed via email. If you have any questions during the application process, please feel free to contact Natalie Sutera via email at email@example.com, or by phone 860-548-2412